Monday, June 9, 2008

Sad day

The fabulous-ness of the weekend (complete with Pink Panther watching, day lilly buying, onesie embroidering, and two potlucks) was completely clouded by this morning's news of the Texas Governor's Mansion burning yesterday.



The paper reports that the cause of this tragedy is suspected arson. It is a true crime against the people of Texas that this building would burn. I know the building intimately - having attended numerous functions there when I lived in Austin - and then studying it as a preservation student. Built in 1856 by msater builder Abner Cook, this Greek Revival house was elegant and stately. It stood near the capitol building, tucked away on a side street. As a student,I wrote the National Register Nomination for it's next door neighbor, the Austin Tribune Building. Right before I left Austin, I worked as an architectural historian for a downtown firm. I'd take the bus downtown from my Delwood duplex and my route would take me by the Governor's mansion each day.

Fortunately, the mansion was undergoing restoration. Most of the furnishings and even some architectural elements like doors and windows had been removed for safekeeping. The current occupants, Rick and Anita Perry, were living in a rented house in West Austin. Already, preservationists from around the state are calling for complete restoration. To lose this piece of Texas history would be a terrible terrible shame.

2 comments:

Mary T-Allen said...

Though nto as intimately acquainted with this house as you, I was also very sad to hear this news. When Matt told me he'd read it online, I couldn't believe it. What could the possible motivation for destroying a historic treasure be?

Anonymous said...

Chaybee,
I am told that you had something to do with the listing of the Tribune Tower at 9th and Colorado in "Austin on the National Register of Historic Places. I am a reporter with the Statesman working on a story about the building and the Tribune's brief life. Could you contact me at bwear@statesman.com, or call me at 512-445-3698? thanks in advance,
Ben Wear