Tuesday, June 17, 2008

(re) connect

Part of the beauty of MySpace and Facebook and email and even blogs is that old friends can be "found" or re-discovered or brought up to speed on things happening. Just recently I reconnected with a friend from high school that I hadn't seen or talked to in over 15 years.

So I wonder why I'm totally down about a friend who doesn't want to reconnect? Could it be that she was a mentor of mine and more than just a friend when I was an undergrad? Could it be that we shared a lot of fun times at the Texas Association of Museum's annual conference? Could it be that I eventually followed her into architecture school and found my niche in historic preservation?

Actually, I think it has something to do with the beautiful red acrylic bowl that is currently holding our farmer's market bounty. She gave it to us for our wedding, and it's been on our counter ever since. I think it was meant for chips and dips, but the flowing organic shape of it is perfect for fruits and veggies.

She was the first person that I ever knew who brought a cooler to Central Market and stocked up on fine wine, cheese and bread long after she had left Austin. She was sort of the older sister I never had.

I last saw her in November of 2005 at her wedding. It was just perfect and everything was beautiful. We exchanged Christmas cards in 2006 and I sent her one in 2007. Sometime in 2006 we lost touch. I tried to email and even visited her museum on my way out to Guadalupe Mountains but didn't hear anything from her again.

Just recently, as I was cleaning out the red bowl, I thought to try to re-connect again. I sent an email and-

no response.

I'm thinking of sending an old fashioned letter, apologizing for whatever transgression I might have made. Any suggestions??

2 comments:

LaLa said...

I do have one suggestion, sweet pea: please don't assume her silence is something you caused. Make it clear you'd love to hear from her, and bring her up to date on what's going on with your life as you would if all was well, but don't be so quick to blame yourself. If it's been 2 years she may have some stuff going on that is more than she can handle and it may not reflect AT ALL on you or on her opinion of you or your relationship. Hold out your hand but be patient and don't blame yourself. That's my take!

KB said...

I had almost the same thing happen to me through the myspaceship.

It is so hard for me to let go of people and when I find someone again I want all those warm fuzzy feelings to come back.