Thursday, October 4, 2007

Get me to the Fair on time..


It's that time of year again.. The Great State Fair of Texas is officially open and yours truly is headed to the Big D this weekend. For our family, the annual pilgrimage to the State Fair and the Texas-OU game is more sacrosanct than Christmas or Easter. Perhaps it is because my dad hasn't missed one since 1950 (seriously.. this is his 57th TX-OU weekend).

Dad has been meeting a group of his college roomates at the same place on the fairgrounds for as long as I can remember. They only see each other once a year, but they have an incredibly strong bond. Over the years, the group has dwindled. In the last few years, it has just been my dad and his best friend from college - Olan. Dad has been in a wheelchair for 11 years now, but his buddy has resisted. This year is different. His friend is not well at all, and I think it is taking a toll on dad too. For over a week, they've been plotting and figuring how Olan will get to the fair.
"Can he rent a wheelchair there?" "Where could he park?" all of these questions have been up in the air this week. I think we finally got it all figured out. The weekend is as important to Olan as it is to dad. He's been going to the game for 61 years, and I think he's worried that this might be his last. I think dad is worried too.

So think of us this weekend, dear readers, as the old and the young hit the fairgrounds. This will be the Snapper's first taste of the fair. She's too young for fair food, but I'm not. I've already set my sights on the fried banana pudding and fried mac n' cheese.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I know this pilgrimage is a regular with you guys, but I had NO idea that your dad hasn't missed a game in 57 years?!?!?! HOLY COW! I hope you all have a great time together!

Chrissy said...

i hope olan has the best fair trip ever! i'll be thinking of y'all...

Mary T-Allen said...

Wow--I am mostly impressed with your ability to cope with Texas-OU weekend crowds. My family went to the fair every year, too, but we purposely scheduled *around* that weekend. But we were never big fans of anything except our own self-centered interests. Ha. A couple years ago, my dad such a hard time getting around the fair that it was his last one. he had been every year of his entire life, except when he was serving in the Navy during WW2. It is amazing how this far is an enduring part of family's histories. I hope you all had a great time--and that Olan and your dad did, especially.