Friday, February 1, 2008

Odds and Ends

Whew, its been a long week! Thankfully, my dad came home from the hospital yesterday. The infection was NOT in the bone, and they have sent him home with some new medicene. Hard to believe a week ago we were in ICU, wondering how things would turn out.

Today is February 1 - important for several reasons. First, it is the 5th anniversary of the Columbia accident. I'll never forget that morning when Nacogdoches was unfortunately thrust into the national spotlight. We heard the terriffic boom, and then several minutes later, our good friend Miss L called to tell us what happened. She has written a beautiful tribute to the astrounauts.

The second important thing about today is that it is the beginning of American Heart Month. Today was National Wear Red day. I made Scotty wear red too, and talk to his classes about keeping your heart healthy. It was probably lost on most of them, but it is a topic near and dear to my - uh- heart. My maternal grandmother died at the young age of 68 from heart disease, Scott's paternal grandfather and father both died from heart related illnesses and of course, my dad has had heart diesase since 1980. I applaud my pals who are shaping up for a 5K and taking better care of their tickers than I am. I hope I can get in on some excercise myself this month. I just realized this week that since I am technically a student at SFA, I get a "free" membership to the Campus rec center. Woo-hooo!

1 comment:

Mary T-Allen said...

Hey I didn't know it was National Wear Red Day, but I seemed to have been wearing red anyway since basically, I wear red every day. I'm glad it's associated with something like heart health and isn't associated with Nazis or something because then my wardrobe would be even more decreased. But this way I am a lazy activist. Ha.

You will love the rec center and we'll love to have you and your heart get ready for the 5k with us anytime!